The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

10/9/07

October 3 2007: Josh Ritter, Old School Freight Train - Pearl Street Ballroom, Northampton MA

Big night in Northampton! Josh Ritter was playing with a full band and pretty much everyone I know was there. And after dealing with the openers (someone should let that fiddle player know that just cause he's got talent doesn't mean he's got a soul), Ritter comes out with an electric guitar to play "Moons" and go straight into "Mind's Eye." The band consisted of the bass and keyboard players that he's had for a while, and a new drummer, and a guy on lead guitar. And "Mind's Eye" was probably the best way to get that show going possible.

What it comes down to is that this show blew every other time I've seen Ritter right out of the water. Ever since I first saw him, when he opened with the then-unreleased "Girl in the War" and in doing so showed his hand too early, I've been forever frustrated that he wasn't playing his songs like they could be being played. Frustrated like the first night was a dream but I haven't been able to come since. Frustrated like I just can't get as high as I got the first time I got high. That sort of thing. But tonight was amazing. The set lasted 80 minutes and it seemed like 40. I came over and over. I got that high again. It was amazing.

They did "Wolves," and "Harrisburg" pretty early on, and when I say "they did," what I really mean is "they did better than I thought possible." And "Here at the Right Time," kept my back shivering the whole way through. And it was nice to hear "The Temptation of Adam," after finally figuring out that it's a good tune.

But then! Forty minutes into the set they go into "Girl in the War," played just as well as it was that first time, with the awful mandolin part finally getting thrown out and the second guitar player really pounding away just before and then during the "oooh"s. And then straight into "Rumors," which leaves me without words. They played it pretty much the way it is on the record, with guitar instead of horns, and with that piano part driving the whole thing. It was the best tune of the night. And then "Right Moves," and then "Me and Jiggs." Not a bad four-song run for the middle of the set.

And then "California" with that extra guitarist on lap steel. And then "Still Beating" with just Josh and the bass player, on guitar. And then "Empty Heart," which has really really grown on me lately. What a great song. And what a great way to end a set.

The encore was a Springsteen tune ("The River") followed by "Kathleen," which is Marie and Mariah's favorite of Ritter's tunes. They were excited to hear it and screamed at all the right spots.

It was a great night.

And I rode my bike home and was at the hospital at 645am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home