The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

9/24/07

September 21 2007: The Mountain Goats, the Bowerbirds - Sonar Club Room, Baltimore MD

It just wouldn't be a Mountain Goats show without a whole lot of hanging out at the local Greyhound station. Which I did, because Anna's car wouldn't start so she had to take the trip north on the dirty dog. As in, Anna my sister! It's exciting to see rock music with blood relations.

So Anna's bus finally rolled into town at 9pm, we drove over to the club, and the Bowerbirds had just started playing. I think I mentioned to her at some point, "Oh I really like these guys." At a later point I realized that she thought the Bowerbirds were the Mountain Goats. She's so cute like that.

Anyway, so I enjoyed some Yuenglings and she had the sort of drink we used to give Ryan Blanchard shit for drinking. The room was Berbati's Pan-sized, and smoky. I'd forgotten that smoky bars exist. And when the Mountain Goats came on they opened with "Cheshire County," a song I hadn't heard since 2003. And then a fabulous new tune called "In the Craters of the Moon" and "Going to Utrecht." In all they played five tunes from "Nine Black Poppies." Pretty great.

At some point during the show, Anna leans over to me and mentions, "Wow, they're so well dressed!"

And I'd forgotten about how Peter's harmony on the last few lines of "Game Shows Touch Our Lives" (you know, from "Carried you up the stairs last night" through the end of the tune) just sends that song through the roof. Of course I hadn't forgotten about his subsequent bass solo. And they did "See America Right," which I hadn't seen in almost two years. And always great to see "Tollund Man."

And on "Love, Love, Love" they didn't quite get to the quiet/sublime feeling that was often achieved before folks started feeling the need to sing along (loudly) to it, but they sure got closer than they did last year. Which was appreciated.

And speaking of singing/screaming along, I came in knowing it's definitely not worth hearing "No Children" anymore due to such crimes against humanity, but this show leaves me wondering of "Going to Georgia" and "This Year" are now in the club as well. The club of tunes which are pretty good, but during which everyone freaks the fuck out and consequently ruins them.


But the show was a lot of fun and Anna enjoyed herself and it was over by 11 so we were at Anna's place in DC by midnight with enough time to go explore her neighborhood until closing time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home