The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

9/26/07

September 26 2007: Damien Jurado - Pearl Street Ballroom, Northampton MA

There are few pleasures greater than riding one's bike a quarter-mile, chaining it to a tree, and then watching one of the best songwriters around play his tunes, even if just for 35 minutes.

It wasn't the greatest show I've ever seen Jurado play, but it was great to see him again. He opened with "Ohio," but he had to kind of force it cause everyone was standing around drinking and talking and waiting for the opener to finish so they could see Okkervil River. But then "Abilene" was next and it was fabulous.

And he did "Lose My Head," which I hadn't heard since I first saw him play in 2002. That was probably the highlight. With runner-up being "Now that I'm in Your Shadow." And "Johnny Go Riding" the second runner-up - that "Judy she's out catching" verse gets me every time.

Real fun. And I was home by ten!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sabina's hat said...

Yeah, I had a similar experience at the New York show. It was at Webster Hall, which was just too large for Jurado--initially people were largely quiet, but it filled up by the halfway mark and the conversation level was really loud. Probably the worst I've seen Jurado play. I don't know, he also seemed stoned or something.

Okkervil River were pretty sweet, but they're at that annoying level of popularity where they can't play any of their slow songs without people thinking it okay to sing along. I think it is a bad sign that where I used to find the high school kids at the shows annoying I now find the college kids at shows annoying.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home