The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

9/25/06

September 24 2006: The Mountain Goats, Christine Fellows – Pearl Street Clubroom, Northampton MA

Pearl Street Clubroom, I think you are my new least-favorite place to see music. But not even your complete lack of charisma and utter absence of soul could spoil a Mountain Goats show. Not even the industrial fans you had blowing at decibel levels quite often higher than those of the pleasant slow songs being performed on stage could detract from the best live band in the world.

But it strikes me now that in my description of last night I failed to mention how much I enjoy Christine Fellows’ songs. Which I do enjoy, and have been enjoying ever since I bought her newest record off ebay from some guy in Toronto for $1.75. Worth every penny, for sure. But I bring this up now because tonight during Christine’s set, during the last song in fact (“Migrations”), some guy makes his way to the front of the stage and proceeds to mouth the words along and kind of generally appear as if his very life ebbs and flows according to the song being sung. And this man is John Darnielle. And the beautiful thing about a Mountain Goats show is that the guy who’s just sold the place out can make his way to the front of the stage for the opener and nobody knows who the hell just pushed past them.

And, oh, Mountain Goats. I live about a half-mile from the Pearl Street, and this was my twenty-seventh time seeing them play, and yet I was practically walking on air the whole way there. There’s really nothing in this world like knowing the Mountain Goats are gonna go on stage in the very near future.

And they played ”In the Hidden Places” and “If You See Light,” both from the new record and both of which I hadn’t heard before, and they did “There Will Be No Divorce” and “Baboon” again, and “Lion’s Teeth” (oh how I love that song) and “Alpha Double Negative” and “Game Shows Touch Our Lives” (definitely the highlight of the show) and “Going to Georgia,” and I just kind of enjoyed the hell out of myself.

It’s gonna be a long, long 45 hours (and counting) waiting for Boston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home