The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

2/21/09

February 21 2009: Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Orpheum Theatre, Boston MA

I was supposed to work this night. It was my weekend on. But I got it off, and Drew had tickets to see the Cardinals play and I'd never been to the Orpheum so I figured that figured for a good time.

Drove in with Caitlin and dropped her off in Dorchester to see Smita's new baby before heading downtown to commence drinking our way through the evening. The Cardinals opened with "I See Monsters" and it was great. They did "Let it Ride" and "Easy Plateau" and "Wonderwall" and "Come Pick Me Up" before closing the first set with a Neil Casall number.

Between sets I tried to procure us another two $10 24oz Harpoons but failed. Not saying why.

Second set started with "Shakedown on 9th Street" into "Rescue Blues." And they did "Oh My Sweet Carolina," aka the first Ryan Adams tune I ever saw live and as such the first Ryan Adams tune I'd ever heard. It was great to hear it again, and almost as good as it was in 2002. And they closed with another cover. Amuse yourself here, please, and try to guess what they played before continuing to read. Alright: I'll bet you a million bucks you didn't guess "Down in a Hole." You know, the Alice in Chains song. And yes, it was pretty amusing.

Show ended and Drew and I went down the street to wait for Caitlin to come pick us up and drive us home. Got some pizza in Somerville on the way out of town. I ate mine. Drew passed out face first in his. It was that kind of night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home