The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

9/27/08

September 27 2008: Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Auditorium Theatre, Rochester NY

So Drew had the hookup for free Ryan Adams tickets and was offering to drive and I had the weekend off and we pricelined a decent room downtown for $60 so off we headed to Rochester. Of course, I don't really know much of Ryan Adams' catalog. I'm pretty familiar with "Heartbreaker" and really really like that Whiskeytown tune "Jacksonville Skyline" that Caitlin's always playing. Other than that, it's a couple tunes on "Gold," a handful on "Cold Roses," and that's pretty much it. But a free show is a free show, and I'm always up for trips out of town to see music and drink beer.

Drew's seats were dead center, ten rows from the stage, in one of the more ornate theatres I've been in. Not too shabby. Things that were shabby: no beer options aside from Coors Light after the people in front of us bought the last Heinekin in the house. But no worries: if there are two guys too good for Coors Light out of a can at a Ryan Adams show, they are not me and definitely not Drew.

The band played two sets with no opener. In the first set I knew two songs: "Come Pick Me Up," which they did second and which I really really enjoyed, and a pretty good cover of Oasis' "Wonderwall" that they crowd went crazy for, but I've seen Oasis do it better. Second set the only tune I knew was "Let it Ride." But they closed with a great number that Drew said was on "Life is Hell." Maybe I'll have to give that album a listen. I was hoping to hear "Magnolia Mountain" or "Oh My Sweet Carolina," which he opened with to great effect the only other time I'd seen him, but no dice. Good show though. Just a shame he was too cool to play an acoustic guitar.

And after the show we had ourselves a good time at this bar that we happend to walk past and that I recognized as a place I'd spent time in with Ryan and Heather the only other time I'd been in Rochester, and then we made it to another bar that Peter Hughes had reccomended to us and where we both ordered the $3 pabst-and-shot special. Not a bad night at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home