The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

8/9/08

August 9 2008: The Hold Steady, the Loved Ones - 40 Watt Club, Athens GA

So one of the factors that pushed me over the edge of following the Hold Steady around for a few dates was that one of the dates would be in Athens, where I'd never been before but had heard was real nice. And it was. Enjoyed some good local beer and a reasonably-priced dinner a few doors down from the 40 Watt, and found UGA to be a pretty place. But Athens doesn't hold a candle to Oxford I'm here to say.

The show, however was maybe a million times better.

For starters, 24oz cans of PBR sold for under $4. And as if things couldn't get any better, the Hold Steady opened with "Constructive Summer" into "The Swish" into "Hot Soft Lights" into "Chips Ahoy" into "Sequestered in Memphis" into "212 Margarita" into "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" into "Hot Fries." Goddamn, where do I start? How about with "212 Fucking Margarita," which has arguably been my favorite song for the past six months. A song I figured I'd never see live. And it was great. Goddamn.

"Barfruit Blues" was played, which I hadn't seen since I saw them play it in Brooklyn last year, and "Ask Her For Adderall," which I saw them play at Wesleyan earlier in the year but didn't know at the time.

But the real hightlight, again, happened after the set finished up. First encore: "Citrus" into "First Night" into "Stuck Between Stations" into "Most People are DJs." Have I said "godamn" enough yet? Goddamn.

Second encore: a new tune called "Ballad of the Midnight Hauler" into "Killer Parties." "Midnight Hauler" is about a DJ who does a show for truckers. Great fucking tune, especially going into "Killer Parties." Best three lines of the night: "Hey why don't you play some music / You know your music so I'll let you choose it / Hey why don't you play some music now."

And as the show ended the bars throughout Athens called for last call and I exited the club into a sea of 19-year-old drunks with fake IDs. Rock and/or roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home