The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

11/7/08

November 7 2008: The Mountain Goats, Kaki King - Theater of the Living Arts, Philadelphia PA

Got up early and drove my ass to Philadelphia. Not much traffic, $2.20 gas, weekend off, Mountain Goats relatively nearby and free tickets offered. Not a hard decision to make.

Got into town and drank a couple half-price happy hour beers and ate the best tempeh sandwich of my young life at the Royal Tavern, aka a place I had suspected but can now confirm to be my favorite place to eat/drink in Philly. Found another place down the street from the venue that was pretty quiet and drank another not-even-close-to-half-price beer and read a bit, waiting for the doors to open. I could see the kids queuing up down the block, but I guess I just can't get into that shit anymore. Give me an overpriced Yuengling and Larry McMurtry's 1999 memoir over chilly air and excited kids any day of the week.

Once the line cleared I walked down only to be turned away at the door by the security guy who objected to the pens I had in my bag. "No ink pens my man. I'll have to take those," he said. What the fuck. And it's not like I'm going to give him my pens. I told him I'd leave them in the car and be right back. I walked around the corner, put them in my shoe, came back. He let me in after groping me all over looking for, presumably, more pens. What the fuck.

Inside, it was easily the largest place I've ever seen the Mountain Goats play. I believe the capacity to the place is 810. That's a lot of people. I said hi to Brandon and set up shop in the bar to the left side of the stage, which wasn't a bad place to set up shop at all. Elevated so that I could see over the crowd and pretty close and with a waitress who came by every 20 or so minutes to sell me $9 drinks. I bought a few, figuring I hadn't paid admission so what the hell.

And why hadn't I paid admission? Because about six months ago Christen Greene emailed me asking for Darnielle's email address. She was doing publicity work for Kaki King and I guess Darnielle had left Ms. King a message in a green room somewhere and she saw it and wanted to get in touch with him, asked Christen if she knew anyone who knew him, Christen emailed me, and everything worked out. And then everything really worked out when they recorded an EP together and did a tour. To which Christen offered me guestlist spots for my services.

Kaki was awful. Easily the most technically proficient guitarist I've ever seen play. But awful, boring, etc. Didn't help that it seemed like she played for an hour and a half.

But the Mountain Goats! Here to save the day, opening with "Have to Explode" and "Heretic Pride." "Have to Explode" was great with a full band, definitely better than how John was playing it solo earlier this year, and it was great to hear "Heretic Pride" again. Not one of their very best songs, but definitely not one of their worst and a solid lots-of-energy-for-the-beginning-of-the-set jam.

Third tune was "The Mess Inside," one of my very favorite Mountain Goats tunes, and one that I've seen bring down the fucking house. Or rather, that I've seen bring down the fucking college coffee shop and the fucking barn. But with the full band it was slowed down slightly and the drums kept things a bit too steady. The give-and-take of the rhythm guitar in the recording, and in the solo performances I've seen, got sacrificed for a steady beat with no nuance. And it lessened the song in the same way that the full band lessened "Twin Human Highway Flares" when I saw them play it in Springfield last year. I definitely like most of the full-band arrangements the Mountain Goats have going these days, but some songs just don't work like that, and "The Mess Inside" definitely seems to be one of them. Which is too bad, cause what a great fucking song.

"New Zion" and "Moon Over Goldsboro" were next. Both were great. And "Moon Over Goldsboro" was beyond great. I don't think I'd heard it live since the 2006 tour immediately after "Get Lonely" was issued, and at that time it hadn't really entered my consciousness as a Great Tune. So I was glad to get the chance to hear it again.

John played some solo tunes in the middle of the set, just like he was doing earlier this year. They were, in order: "Source Decay" (great as always, and I don't think I'd seen him do this one without Peter), "Attention All Pickpockets" (great) and "Sinaloon Milk Snake Song" (never figured I'd hear it live and lots of fun). And then he did "Black Pear Tree." Just went right into it, playing the piano chords on the guitar. It was amazing. Easily my favorite song since that EP arrived in my mailbox last week. He sang the first verse and Kaki King came out in time to sing the harmony on "I suspect it's going to have to be." Then Kaki sang the rest of it just like she does on the record. It was fantastic.

Then they did "Bring Our Curses Home," my othe favorite song on that EP, with John singing and Kaki playing. Then "Mosquito Repellent," during which the band came back. Then a Morrissey tune I didn't know and then "Supergenesis," which I didn't much care for before but it was maybe the sonic highlight of the night. It sounded nothing like the record. John on electric, Kaki on fuzzboxed lap steel, Peter and Wurster playing what they play. The lap steel was AMAZING. My only regret was that I couldn't see how she was doing it cause she was sitting on the stage with it in her lap. I could listen to this song like they played it at every show and be happy.

After "Supergenesis" Kaki left and the band did "Sept 15 1983," which I think is one of their best songs ever, Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town," "No Children" and "This Year." The kids up front got excited for those last two. So did the grown men acting like kids next to me in the bar. What can you do.

Encore was "Pigs that Ran Straightaway Into The Water," which was lots of fun with the full band and only the second time I'd seen it played at all, followed by "Palmcorder Yajna." Second encore was "Houseguest." Yawn.

And I went to get some pretzles from that place Caitlin and I stumbled onto on Washington Ave that opens at midnight the last time we were here. Good fucking times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home