The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

10/31/05

October 25 2005: Adam Sweeney – Club Passim, Cambridge MA

How I found myself in Cambridge is somewhat interesting. To begin, the day after the Haverford show was pretty much the worst day of hitchhiking, ever. I Tried to take Route 113 around Philadelphia only to discover that a good portion of Route 113 has absolutely no shoulder whatsoever. I think I walked about fifteen miles, and didn’t even make it out of the state. At least I made it to a college town before dark, where I slept at East Stroudsburg University. The only redeeming moment of the day occurred when somewhere along the line I got picked up by a guy who was headed to a bar a few miles down the road and who offered to buy me a drink – not something entirely out of the ordinary, but it’s always nice when it happens. And so we go into this bar which is right on the bank of the Delaware river and just what is playing on the jukebox as we walk in? Why nothing less than Guns n’ Roses doing “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.” I swear, when chances fall in your lap like that you gotta recognize them for what they really are. So I let him buy me no fewer than four additional drinks. I’d had a rough day anyhow. Hell of a nice guy. And so when I woke up the next morning and saw that it was just fucking pouring outside I wasn’t too thrilled about another day of standing on the side of the road. And when the first ride I got was a stoner mortician who was headed into Brooklyn I figured what the hell, I’ll go with him and just get on the goddamn bus. And it turns out that the bus is way cheaper to Boston than it is to Northampton, and my friend Adam from Northampton just so happened to be playing a show there that night.

So that’s how I came to be here. And that’s about the whole story. Adam played and it was fun. He even had a new song about me and beer and rock and roll! How about that? And then I got a ride back to Northampton and a sofa for a couple of nights. Hell of a guy, that Adam Sweeney.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home