The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

10/31/05

October 22 2005: The Mountain Goats, The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers – Olde Club, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA

I recently wrote everyone I know an email informing them that we all, excepting our one friend who went to Swarthmore, went to the wrong damn college. Swarthmore was beautiful on every level. First, it is physically appealing to the eye. Old stone buildings, attractive co-eds, green grass (both kinds), etc. Second, they run their food service in an all-you-can-eat-so-long-as-you’re-on-the-meal-plan manner, and I found it remarkably easy to talk my way into the cafeteria despite not being on said meal-plan. And the show itself…..let us just say that MY college never sponsored a Mountain Goats show free of charge to all, much less sprang for all that free beer in the basement.

The show was typical of what you might expect, with a whole lot of undergrads there for the booze. There were a decent amount of folks there for the music though, and I thought it was a great show from the front of the stage but the Prayers and Tears who viewed the show from the back said it was pretty bad. Who knows, but I think they were sober so I’ll take their word for it. But I had a great time. John stopped in the middle of “Cotton” to call out some folks who were talking and was so amused by their response that he granted one of them a request. Namely, “Going to Georgia.” And after the show I just followed my ears to the dance music next door, where there was a huge party going on with more free beer. And the sofas in the multicultural center were comfy and abandoned and I slept great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home