The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

12/22/07

December 21 2007: Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Blitzen Trapper - Doug Fir Lounge, Portland OR

I'm home for Christmas and Malkmus is playing at the Doug Fir. How great is that!? And Janet Weiss is now a Jick! So that was kind of amazing. And Joanna Bolme is still a Jick. So seeing them these days is really like seeing bits and pieces of all my favorite groups all on stage together.

And Katie came with me! It was pretty good times. I drank Black Buttes and Mirror Ponds. She drank various gin-based drinks. And we somehow found ourselves in the front of the room, right in front of Steve. I like the Doug Fir.

Blitzen Trapper played first, and they were pretty good. I think Katie liked them more than I did. And Katie played a pretty excellent bad cop to the assholes who shoved their way in front of us during their set. Assholes: "Sorry, this is our favorite band and we haven't seen them in a while." Katie: "Um, well I've never seen them and now I never will because you fat head is blocking my view....and WE'VE WERE STANDING HERE BEFORE YOU SHOVED YOUR WAY IN FRONT OF US." I love Katie. And I love the Jicks. I hadn't seen them play since I left Portland 2 years ago. It was too long.

They opened with "Baby C'mon." How can you beat a show when it's Janet Weiss on drums and you've got a Mirror Pond firmly in hand and they open with "Baby C'mon"? The show was mostly new tunes though, which I didn't know, and which I was unable to really appreciate cause I couldn't sing along in my head. They were pretty good tunes, though. With lots of the boring-type guitar solos that Malkmus seems to really get a kick out of these days, but there were some really top-notch ones too. Only a few tunes off the old records. "Animal Midnight" and "Mama" were both somewhere in the middle, and they closed the set with "Pencil Rot," which was pretty fantastic. That song is about ten million times better live than it is on the record. And they closed the encore with "Church on White." Great fucking night. Cries of
MALLLLLLLLK-MUUUUUUUUUUS, at the pitch of a foghorn, went out as people unsuccessfully tried to get the band to come out for a second encore. In the men's room someone had graffitied Malkmus Is God above the toilet. It was a fun way to spend the evening.

And then Katie bought a pack of Marlboros and we went to sober up at a certain Burnside establishment that I'm not going to mention by name here. But somehow I found myself with another Mirror Pond in front of me. So after Katie went home I needed a little more time before driving back to the parents' house in Hillsboro. I got in the car, turned up the heat and fell asleep, and when I woke up I was out of gas. Maybe, just maybe, a ten-block walk to the Shell station on Grand and Washington at 330am is the only reliable way to know, to REALLY know, that you've had a better time than most that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home