The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

11/19/07

November 15 2007: The Mountain Goats, the Bowerbirds - Empty Bottle, Chicago IL

Ah, Chicago. After being awakened/evicted from my spot behind the dumpster by U of I campus police at 5am, I hoofed it to the edge of town and made it to the suburbs in 2 rides and 3 hours. $1.50 Pace fare and a $5 CTA day pass later I was downtown enjoying a spinach omelette, hashbrowns and toast. I used every little piece of portion-sized butter they had on the table. And didn't get a coffee - I got an egg nog latte. I was feeling pretty alright and in a mood to express myself via indulgence. It felt great to finally not have to bum anymore rides, to be at my final destination. And I'd forgotten how much I fucking love Chicago.

Called the Empty Bottle to see what time they open up for drinks and the guy on the other end said five. I called his bluff and walked in at four. He asked me what he could do for me. IPA, please. He asked for $3.75 plus tip. We had ourselves a deal.

Peter and John showed maybe an hour later and we shot the shit for a little bit. I was introduced to Wurster, who said "Oh, you're that guy. I've heard about you." Hear that? Jon Wurster's heard of ME.

And while I sat there nursing my beer I was able to catch the soundcheck. A Misfits cover, an Echo and the Bunnymen cover, "Barracuda" by Heart, that song "Da Da Da" that used to be in TV commercials, Pinklon, and a bunch of other tunes. All for me and the bartender. After which I went to find some food on Division St. Ate better tacos than I've had anywhere on the east coast, had a pretty good slice of pizza, had another beer. I love Chicago.

And the show itself was pretty great. Not as great as the last show I saw at the Empty Bottle, but close. "Quito" came out third in the set, right into "In the Craters on the Moon," right into "Mole." The electric came back out for "Maybe Sprout Wings." "September 15 1983" again, which is always a pleasure. "See America Right" on electric again.

First encore: that Misfits cover again, with Wurster on vocals and Phil/Mark Bowerbird on guitar/drums, and then "Houseguest."

Second encore: "California Song." Man do I love this song. Man do I wish that every time they played "Houseguest" they'd do it instead. It was great. Peter on bass, John singing "a song about where I'm from." I was happy.

Third encore, a number I've never seen encores at Mountain Goats shows, or really at most any shows, reach: "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton." Hail Satan indeed.

And then it was over.
I didn't want to go home. I ate a couple more tacos and a tamale. I walked down Division and then up Damon to the blue line. I took it to O'Hare to sleep a few hours before my 630am flight. It was not the greatest sleep I've ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home