The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

12/12/06

December 12 2006: The Winterpills, the Fawns - Iron Horse, Northampton MA

Today in a sentence: woke up, went to work, came home from work, studied a little bit, ate some food, went to school, took the last exam of the year, drove back to Northampton, ruminated on the fact that I WILL NEVER AGAIN HAVE TO STEP FOOT NUMBER ONE INSIDE A COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE, parked outside the Iron Horse, went inside, bought a beer, watched some rock and roll, went to the liquor store, bought more beer, drove home, put on the newly-purchased Fawns cd, opened a beer, ruminated on the fact that the Fawns are the greatest pop band in all of human history, typed this out. And that brings us to the present.

So, as could be inferred from the above text: I went to the Winterpills/Fawns benefit gig. But I didn't pay. But I didn't know it was a benefit until it was too late. Oh well.

But yeah - the Fawns played and though they weren't as good tonight as they were at the Basement in October, they were still pretty fabulous. That song "Snow Day"? Fucking amazing. Fucking perfect. But they only played for 25 minutes. Apparently the show had to be over by nine to make way for Latin Night.

So after 25 minutes of the Fawns the Winterpills come out for a half-hour. I hadn't seen them since they opened for the Mountain Goats back when I was in Northampton as a nonresident. They played a few songs I vaguely recognized from hearing their CD at Adam and Sairi's house, and they played a few new songs that were even better. I thought the one with the girl singing was definitely the best of the set. Adam agreed. I look forward to their new record.

But yeah - the Fawns. Good god are they the greatest thing since the second coming. Perhaps they ARE the second coming. I should think about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home