The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

11/11/06

November 10 2006: Rocky Votolato, William Elliott Whitmore, FDR – Iron Horse, Northampton MA

So I didn't realize that anyone knew who Rocky Votolato is, and I'd never heard of William Elliott Whitmore myself, but the Iron Horse was absolutely packed and the people were excited. I managed to secure myself a few BBC Porters and Whitney and I got ourselves some good seats up front and good times were had.

And William Elliott Whitmore was fucking fantastic. He played banjo while stomping his left food in time like he's trying to smash a hole in the stage, singing these great songs with lyrics like "One man's story is another man's shame / I ain't bound for glory, no no I'm bound for flames" in between great big gulps of beer. Not often do you hear people loudly yelling requests and demanding "ONE MORE SONG!" from the opener. I bought his album and would pay good money to see him again any day of the week.

And Rocky Votolato played a telecaster and sang most of my favorite songs from the one album of his I've got, namely "Portland is Leaving," "The Night's Disguise," "Tinfoil Hats," "White Daisy Passing" and "Makers." He was lots of fun to see. "Makers" made my night and left me wishing only for (a) a glass of whiskey in my hand and (b) Adam or Ryan or Sean or Terrence (collectively aka my whiskey-drinking friends) in the near vicinity clinking glasses with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home