The Rock And Roll O Logues

short stories about music

Name:
Location: Northampton MA

3/31/06

March 19 2006: The Silver Jews, New Radiant Storm King, Ketman – Middle East Downstairs, Cambridge MA

My first real rock and roll show in Massachusetts since moving here. Also my first time to Boston since the last time I was there, which was the first time of all time. Got together before the show with old friend Jared and his friend Jacob and Jacob’s friends Adam and Nathan. Much good food and beer consumed between the hours of 6 and 9pm, at which point the show began and we headed in.

The merch guy didn’t seem to enthusiastic about my commenting, “eh, $20 for a trucker hat? Seems like you’re sorta trying to jew me on that one.” I mean, seriously! Bad joke, but it’s true, $20 for a cheap trucker hat is a little much, even if said trucker hat has a NY Jets style football helmet on it with “Jews” in the logo instead of “Jets.” Like the merch guy said, “it’s funny because it’s not like there’s an actual New York Jews football team.”

Openers were competent, and there was a comedian MC-ing the thing, coming out before each act and doing a little bit of his routine. He was funny in a six-beers-since-two-hours-ago kind of way. His “I’m a good cop!” bit was the best. Don’t remember the dude’s name though.

And the Silver Fuckin Jews! Pretty cool. And way better than I was anticipating, it being according to Berman their eighth show ever. And lots and lots of oldies. Good times all around.
After “Smith and Jones Forever,” which I danced all over the place too, the girl tapped me on the shoulder and said, “hey, I’m not trying to ruin your show or anything, but could you maybe….” And I said, “yeah, I’m sorry. Sorry.” I’d accidentally danced all over someone’s feet, and figured she must be their owner. But then “Pet Politics” comes up next, my fist went up, my body moved, and fuck it, sometimes you gotta dance and if there’s feet in the vicinity they better get out of the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home